Monday, March 2, 2009

Ricky Hatton comes face to face with Manny Pacquiao

By Steve Bunce, sundaymirror.co.uk 1/03/2009


When Manny Pacquiao fights, the whole of the Philippines stands still and crime drops to zero.

Pacquiao meets Ricky Hatton in Las Vegas on May 2 for the IBO light-welter weight belt - but the Filipino idol believes that there is something far more important on the line.

"It is a fight between two great boxing nations - there is national pride," said Pacquiao, who came face to face with Hatton and 6,000 cheering fans at the Trafford Centre on the outskirts of Manchester yesterday.

"This fight will be a great challenge because Ricky is a great fighter. It will be a once-in-a-lifetime fight.

"I wanted to come to Britain to meet Hatton's fans - they are great fans just like mine.

"I've seen Hatton's fans in Las Vegas and I know just how devoted they are. Hatton should be proud of them because I'm proud of my fans.

"My fans know that when I fight I fight for every single one of them."

Not only does crime cease in the Philippines when Pacquiao is in action, even the rival and warring political parties call a truce.

Yesterday's appearance in Manchester was part of a short promotional tour that will end in London tomorrow before Pacquiao takes up residence at Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym in LA.

Hatton presented Pacquiao with a Manchester City shirt and nailed double two to beat him at a game of darts - and he is convinced history will repeat itself in the ring.

Hatton said: "This is a fight between two nice men but there is nothing nice about either me or Manny when we get inside the ring. We're both aggressive but where some other fighters have been worried about him, he certainly won't worry me."

Pacquiao and his close friends will share a small apartment near the LA gym and cook all their own food.

"I know about sacrifices and that is why I will be with Freddie next week," added Pacquiao. "This will be the hardest fight of my life.

"I've been in a lot of big, big fights and beaten a lot of great fighters.

"My last fight against Oscar De La Hoya was important but Ricky Hatton will be much harder.

"He is a great fighter with great fans and I will have to train harder than I have ever trained before. Freddie knows just how serious this fight is for me and the Filipino people.

"I will be using the best sparring partners to prepare and on the night I will be perfect for victory."

Hatton will remain in Manchester for another four weeks before shifting his own training camp to Las Vegas to join up with Floyd May weather Snr.

Lee Beard, who looks after Hatton's training in the UK, is convinced that the Manchester boxer is in the best possible shape at this point in his strict training regime.

"Ricky is sharp and his weight is fine," said Beard.

"This is the biggest fight available and Ricky is determined not to make a single mistake.

"We will prepare before the move to America and when he gets on the plane he will be in terrific shape."

0 comments: